1/28/10

LMHF Game Report #29

EDMONTON 1

VS.

ST LOUIS 2
-------------

I'm honestly not sure I saw enough in the game tonight to write about. In a 2-1 loss to the lowly blues after we've been losing so long, what else is there to say?

Brule and Comrie were back, which was good to see. Of the 2, I think Comrie had the better game. He got some pucks to the net, gave the puck away less than his teammates and was a little scrappy at least. Brule really only got away a shot or two and didn't come all that close to scoring.

I'm a little perplexed at Gagner being voted a star. I thought he made too many bad passes in the defensive zone to have what would be considered a good game.

Also, Nilsson made the pass to Penner that resulted in our goal. It was a nice finish and a solid play. One of the few.

Gagner blew a perfect chance to tie the game late. Mason gave him all the space in the world and he somehow missed the net entirely. I don't get it.

I suppose the Blues hit a couple posts too; one on a gimme chance with a wholly open net. They likely deserved to beat us.

Given that we allowed only 20 shots, I suppose the defence was pretty decent. Deslauriers performance wasn't his best.

The Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani line lost some shine in my eyes tonight. They'd been reasonably effective, and didn't seem to do anything tonight.

Souray, no surprise is completely checked out. I'm not sure I've ever seen him give the puck away so much though. What the heck was that dump straight to the STL defender when we had the goalie pulled and he had all kinds of time? That didn't make any sense at all and is not a play that Souray ever would've made if we were in this season.

Perhaps what we can talk about instead of discussing the game is whether this is actually as bad as we've ever been. Despite the results, I really don't think so. The team in the 1993 area was incredibly bad and had many more low-level players than we do now. There were nights when it seemed like we couldn't even make a pass. We probably weren't losing close games either. Even though we're listless and the losses seem assured, we're not getting trashed.

Who's the worst Oilers squad consistently that we've seen?

1 comment:

David S said...

You ask a great question, unfortunately I can't give a reasoned response. To me, this team is the result of purposely manufactured incompetence as part of the goal to acquire a superstar through the draft.

How far down the pipe that goes is anybody's guess, but tell me this - was Tom Gilbert's "trip" on the blueline not the best piece of performance theater you've seen in a while? Its turned into god damn pro wrestling out there.